Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Nov 18, 2008

Nov 18, 2008. Today was another interesting one. Ivan had a meeting in Nairobi so Brenden and I went along for the opportunity to explore a little bit of Nairobi while he met. We were dropped off at the Village Market, basically a mall with a good selection of many things including souvenirs. We spent a couple of hours making a couple of choice purchases and then headed by foot to the Java House where we met with Ivan, Dr. Bransford, Oscar (a Kenyan administrator who works at Kijabe Hospital, and the assistant to Kenyan US ambassador to discuss matters related to the mission here in Kijabe and try and solicit whatever support might be available from that source. A very interesting discussion for certain and what amazes me most of all is the effective networking that seems to be going on amongst the various stakeholders in current and proposed projects to aid and assist some very desperate and disadvantaged people. It is truly touching and yet mind-boggling to see the determination of all concerned to achieve the most possible for disadvantaged Kenyans.
On our return home we were stopped briefly by armed military that were simply checking on our destination. When they realized we were associated with Kijabe Hospital they were quick to see us on our way.
On arrival in Kijabe Brenden and I stopped a the hospital to meet Mercy, who will give us a more complete guided tour of Kijabe Hospital and especially Bethany Kids Centre, the main purpose of my visit here. This project started in 2003 and has expanded from its initial 17 beds to a current 64 beds; however, on our visit to day there were 75 patients!
The hot African sun sure takes a toll, so on arriving back in Kijabe I decided to rest and write for my blog. I am trying (with great difficulty) not to take a very tempting nap as I am certain it will play havoc with my night!
Tonight we go to the Bransfords for dinner, but prior to that Brenden and I will likely go to the Poenarus to check our e-mail again.
Brendon decided to run when we got home; he lasted only 15 minutes and returned with considerable difficulty breathing; we are at 7000ft and that sure is obvious when we walk uphill (all the time here on the side of the mountain!), and it is apparent I am not ready to have my little Kenyan run yet.
OK, so only 15 minutes shouldn’t wreck my night…

No comments: