Saturday, October 4, 2008

Anticipation

This experience has been a long time coming. I have been encouraged to visit Kijabe for several years now by my friend, colleague, and mentor, Ivan Stewart, who has been involved with AIC Kijabe Mission and Bethany Kids for several years. I have received unqualified support from my wife and four children, and my colleaques at work have been very supportive with encouragement and medical coverage for my busy medical practice from which I will be absent for 2 1/2 weeks.
In preparation for my visit I have been exploring Kijabe online, have written and heard from the director, and have spoken with Ivan in person. We are in the process of collecting a variety of medical supplies and medications to be taken along for the hospital and outpatient clinic. In reviewing the online list, I have tried to use it as a guide to the most needed supplies. I have had a generous donation from Pfizer via Jodie Murphy, have managed to scrounge a number of pharmaceutical samples from my own practice, but hope to acquire more antimicrobial medications prior to departure.
It is exciting to anticipate the experience of a place I have only read about and to imagine the reception, the atmosphere, the surrounding countryside, and the fascination of meeting people who actually do this work day-in and day-out year-round.

No comments: